Flying into Canada
Now while Wawa doesn’t have a commercial airport (you can fly your own chartered plane here if you so happen to have one), the closest airport would be Sault Ste Marie, Ontario (airport code YAM). Air Canada and Porter fly into here. Porter is more of a budget airline and has some pretty good sales so make sure you check their site often (or if you are planning far enough in advance sign up for their newsletter and they’ll let you know when they have their next sale).
West Jet flies into Thunder Bay (airport code YQT). They also have some good flights but then you still have to get to Wawa.
Once your flight gets in, how do you get to our base?
If you land in Sault Ste Marie (the Soo) you have three options:
- With some advanced notice we can come and collect you and your group (contact us for pricing). We also may be able to get you in touch with other guests coming to do the same trip or workshop and you can car pool.
- Other options include taking the Ontario Northland bus
- Or rent a car. National Car Rental has a depot in Wawa if you are looking to do a one way drop off but sometimes it is just as cost effective to return it back to the Soo when you are done (Budget and Avis also have depots at the airport).
If you land in Thunder Bay:
- It is unlikely that we will be able to come pick you up at a reasonable price but you can always ask (possibly more cost effective if you are joining a trip that starts closer to Thunder Bay and don’t need to come all the way to Wawa).
- Rent a car (see notes from how to get here from Sault Ste Marie).
- Note: there is no longer bus service operating from Thunder Bay east.
Other Points to Note
If you are travelling from the US, it might be cheaper to fly into Michigan (domestic flight versus international flight). The closest airport is Chippewa County airport (airport code CIU) just outside Sault Ste Marie, Michigan (3.5hrs from Wawa). From there you have a few options for car rental.
Next closest airport would be Pellston Airport (airport code PLN) (near Mackinaw city) (4.5 hours from Wawa). Again, you have choices for car rental.
International guests: when you book your flight from your originating country, inquire if you can add a leg on to your existing flight and land in Sault Ste Marie. This will be much less expensive than adding an entire flight on once you’ve landed in Toronto or Montreal for example.
Taking the bus
The Ontario Northland Bus is the only service provider travelling through Wawa. At the time of this writing, the bus comes through from the south/east (originating in Toronto or Ottawa) arriving at 14:25 (2:25pm).
From the north/west (originating in Hearst) arriving at 8:15am. We can come pick you up in Wawa from the bus station (small charge applies).