Paddle Canada Basic Kayak Instructor
Course materials and manual.
Group lodge meal the first night.
Beach camping before, during and after the course.
Meal Plan: $96
Boat and equipment rental: $80
This Paddle Canada Certified Basic Kayak Instructor course is a 3-day coverage of the demonstration quality paddling skills, appropriate teaching techniques and administration required to deliver a high quality basic kayaking course to new paddlers. It’s your starting point in Paddle Canada’s SK Instructor stream and as a foundation for those wishing to be an effective novice kayak paddling instructor.
Main Course Content
- Strong on water review of basic paddling skills to ensure technical understanding and demonstration quality.
- Learning and applying the Paddle Canada IDEAS approach to “teach” on/off water course criteria.
- Plenty of practice teaching of course skills and theory (with feedback).
- Participants must be at least 16 years of age.
- Paddle Canada (PC) Sea Kayaking Level 1 Skills certification or equivalent.
- Current certification in Standard First Aid with CPR. (8 hours). If you do not have current first aid certification, you may take the course with a pass conditional on completing a course within one year.
As a successful candidate you will be certified to conduct Paddle Canada Introduction to Kayaking Skills courses and certify paddlers at that level. You will also be certified to assist a Level 1 Instructor on a Level-1 Skills course.
- Wet Exit
- Retrieving a swamped kayak
- Assisted Rescue
- Hand of God
- Lifting and carrying a kayak.
- Forward and reverse paddling.
- Draw stroke
- Forward and reverse sweep strokes.
- Low brace
- Boat design
- Boat outfitting
- Safety Equipment
- Injury prevention
- Equipment care
- Kayaking resources
Teaching and Learning
The Instructor candidate will develop a good understanding of:
- How one learns.
- Conditions that encourage & promote learning.
- Skill, knowledge and attitude areas of learning.
- Goals and objectives.
- Lesson planning and organization.
- Class management.
- Group dynamics.
- Evaluation techniques.
- Instructor behaviour and attitudes.
- How to plan and organize a course.
- Paddling activities and games.
- Teaching strategies.
The Instructor Candidate will demonstrate knowledge of the following topics:
- Paddle Canada policies, programs, accreditation and re-certification.
- Organization and management of a course.
- Other germane institutions and programs available in Canada.
- Overview of resources available in Canada.
- Legal and liability issues affecting the instructor.
- Safety procedures, hazard recognition, waterfront regulations and safety equipment.
- Equipment choice, teaching sites and areas, and scheduling.
- Development of appropriate teaching progression.
- Kayaking activities, games and events.
- Staffing and staff management.
The course is based from Naturally Superior Adventures/Rock Island Lodge with theory sessions provided from the comfort of the lodge. Course accommodations are comfy tent sites on our beach or alternatively, rooms are available (at an additional cost) at Rock Island Lodge. Fully equipped sea kayaks, paddling tops and wetsuits are available to rent.
A detailed Instructor’s manual is provided prior to course commencement.
The course fee also provides for Paddle Canada certification. If certification is not important to you, great. Rest assured, you’ll be getting top notch instruction from qualified instructors who love sharing their passion for paddling with you.
Please don’t hesitate to email us with any questions.