This Paddle Canada certified Basic Tandem Canoe Instructor course is an intensive 4-day program designed to provide you with a strong foundation of paddling skills and teaching techniques/practice required to be an effective tandem canoe instructor.
- Certified Paddle Canada Instructors
- All Meals and Snacks
- Fully Outfitted Coast Guard Approved Canoe (We have a variety of styles of kayaks and canoes that you may try out during your course.)
- Beach Camping Accommodations
- Course Materials
Extra Course Options
- Reduced Rate on Accommodation at Rock Island Lodge B&B Before and After Course. Use Code: COURSEGUEST.
- Meal Adjustment (contact us if you wish to bring your own meals)
As a successful candidate you’ll be certified to run and certify Paddle Canada Basic and Introduction Lake Canoe courses and conduct Waterfront Canoe Activities. You may also assist on an Intermediate Lake Instructor or an Intermediate skills course.
- Participants must be at least 16 years of age.
- Paddle Canada Intermediate canoe skills or equivalent.
- Certification in First Aid with CPR (14 hours) with CPR.
General Content Information
- Strong on water review of Paddle Canada basic paddling skills to ensure technical understanding and demonstration quality.
- Applying the Paddle Canada IDEAS and other teaching approaches to on/off water tandem canoe skills and theory teaching in appropriate conditions
- Plenty of practice teaching of course skills and theory (with feedback).
- Warm Up to Reduce Paddling Injuries
- Deep Water Exits (no diving) from Canoe
- Swim a Swamped Canoe to Shore
- Empty a Swamped Canoe at Shore / Dock
- Canoe over Canoe
- Shore Based Throw Bag Rescue
- Canoe Tows
- Day Trip Planning
- Water/Wind/Waves/Weather (Concerns and hazards)
- Hypothermia and Hyperthermia
- Personal Preparation (clothing, water, snacks, meds, etc.)
- Safe Canoe Procedures
- Canoe, Paddles, PFDs, Throw Bags, and bailers
- Personal Equipment for Day Paddling (waterproofing)
- Expanded Canoe(s) Lifts and Carries: Overhead, Suitcase Style, Solo and Multiple
- Canoe Transport on Car: Loading and Unloading, Racks, Ropes and/or Straps
- Navigating Shoreline
- Choosing Safe Paddling Environments
- Launch and Remove Canoe (shore and/or dock)
- Paddling Concepts (basic strokes, hand placement, power face of blade, etc.)
- Balance and Trim
- Forward and Reverse Sweeps
- Bow Draw
- Braces (with loose hips)
- J Stroke
- Forward Straight Line Paddling
- Pivot Turns
- Improved Paddling in Cadence
- Switching Positions in the Canoe
- Left and right turns Under Power
If you do not have current standard first aid certification, you may take the course with the understanding that Paddle Canada certification, if desired will be conditional upon completing the first aid course pre-requisite within one year.
A pre-course package with pre-course assignments will be sent following registration and an Instructor’s manual is provided prior to course commencement.
Candidates wishing certification with Paddle Canada will be required to register (and pay a Candidate Instructor fee) with Paddle Canada in advance of the course. If certification is not important to you, great. Rest assured, you’ll be getting top notch instruction from qualified instructors who love sharing their passion for paddling with you.
Please don’t hesitate to email us with any questions.