This Paddle Canada sea kayak Level-2 skills course is a comprehensive 4-day coverage of skills and theory essential for proficient kayaking in moderate conditions, on overnight trips along a moderately exposed shore with frequent easy landing opportunities.
Our on-water focus will be on developing strong technical paddling and rescue skills. Also preparing for and heading out on multi-day trips. Practical theory sessions cover weather, navigation, tides and currents appropriate for kayakers.
This course is for paddlers with well-practiced fundamental skills looking to refine their paddling and rescue techniques. Arrive prepared for wilderness camping and lots of time on and in the water.
Please don’t hesitate to email us with any questions.
- Certified Paddle Canada Instructors
- All Meals and Snacks
- Fully Outfitted Coast Guard Approved Kayak (We have a variety of styles of kayaks and canoes that you may try out during your course.)
- Course Materials
Extra Course Options
- Reduced Rate on Accommodation at Rock Island Lodge B&B Before and After Course. Use Code: COURSEGUEST.
- Meal Adjustment (contact us if you wish to bring your own meals)
- Certification Fee
- Certification: Sea Kayak Level-1 Skills or equivalent skill and knowledge at the discretion of the course director.
- Paddling experience: At least 3, one-day-long kayaking trips in Level-1 conditions in different locations.
- Other training: Wilderness first aid (16 hours) with CPR strongly recommended.
General Content Information
Typically we will cover materials though a combination of lecture sessions and as part of a multiday trip. During this time skills and theory can be put to practical use with loaded boats.
- Bow rescue
- Scoop rescue
- Eskimo roll
- Safety equipment
- Tides and currents
- Planning a multi-day trip
- First aid for paddlers
- Launching/landing in rough seas
- Advanced edging
- Forward stroke
- Sweep strokes
- Support strokes
- Dynamic turning strokes
- Paddling in wind, waves & current