Sea Kayak Guides and Instructors
(Lead and Assistant)
Based on a 2.5 ha site on Lake Superior near Wawa Ontario, Naturally Superior Adventures (and Rock Island Lodge) is most active from mid-May to September. Our focus is on silent sports especially paddling. We are 10 – 15 people incl. guides, site, lodge, and office staff.
Main guides activities include:
- Lead/assist 2 – 8 day outfitted trips on Superior by sea kayak and voyageur canoe. Trip
participants range from summer camps to groups of adults 70+.
- Deliver Paddle Canada certified sea kayak, canoe and SUP skills/instructor courses.
- Lead/assist day trips/instruction by sea kayak, canoe and SUP.
- Lead/assist with a variety of site-based school and youth programs.
Other activities include assisting with our boat rentals/maintenance, site maintenance, driving vehicle shuttles and helping with our lodge operation.
Mandatory guide qualifications:
- Current Advanced Wilderness First Aid Certification (40 hr).
- Good sea kayak/canoe paddling skills (Paddle Canada level 1 (or equivalent) or greater.
Note that these are often offered as part of spring staff training program.
- Must also be able to handle work that can be physically demanding at times; lifting
boats, paddling 15+ kilometres in a day.
- College or University outdoor leadership/skills career path.
- Commercial guide experience with sea kayaks, voyageur/tandem canoes, and SUP.
- Higher levels of Paddle Canada (or equivalent) skills/instructor certifications.
- NLS Lifeguard certification strongly appreciated
- Drivers license and good driving record
- Heritage and ecological knowledge/interest in Lake Superior’s coast
- A flexible, personable personality with strong safety and customer service mentality
Typical employment is early/mid-May – early September with average 40 hr weeks.
Tent platform accommodations and meals are available for staff who wish to live on site. A reasonable fee is deducted to cover meal costs.
All boats/gear are available for personal trips/learning when not required by customers.
Our guide course and Paddle Canada skills/instructor training program combined with paddling Superior will advance your paddling/guiding skills considerably.
Apply with a resume and cover letter. Tell us why you are well suited to this position, what you would like to achieve personally and your salary expectations. If you are sending via email PLEASE USE PDF FILE FORMATS.
Attention David Wells: [email protected]